5 Tips For Choosing the Right Care Provider For Your Birth
by Janelle - Trust Breathe Birth
by Janelle - Trust Breathe Birth on 02 September, 2016
It’s SO important to choose your birthing environment and care provider wisely.
So often we hear about women having terrible labour and/or birth experiences, or long recoveries after having a baby, and people put it down to “well that’s just part of birth”.
But in reality, it’s NOT.
There’s lots of things you can do to prepare for a positive birthing experience. Birth education is huge… Gaining that knowledge you need, to be able to understand labour, which will allow you to birth your baby without fear… Preparing mentally, emotionally, physically… It’s so, so, SO important, and makes SUCH a huge impact on the type of birth you experience.
Another important step in preparing for a positive birth experience is choosing the right care provider for you.
We have some beautiful choices for birthing environments and care providers here in the South West. We’re really blessed with some of our choices here! But no matter where you are, there’s always options! Seek them out! Your care provider and birthing environment has a HUGE impact on your birthing experience!
It’s important to choose them wisely.
Here’s some tips on how to choose the right care provider for you…
• Work through any fear you have about birth. You need to base your decisions on education, rather than fear. Working through any fear or negative emotions you have about birth is something I believe you need to do before going any further with your decision.
• Think about your ideal birth. Ideally, what type of birth would you want? Where would you feel most comfortable birthing? Everyone has a different answer to this, which is why this is such a personal choice. It’s very helpful to know your answer to this question before you go out and try to find your provider.
• Choose a care provider whose views on birth match yours. Meet with a few different care providers before deciding. Interview them… Ask them questions to help you decide who you mesh best with.
• Listen to the experiences of other women who have chosen that care provider for their birth. Listen to them… And also understand their story. It’s SO important to actually understand birth when hearing other people’s stories. Independently research WHY some births end up intervention-heavy. Understand WHY some births are blissful… Even orgasmic! Understanding birth helps you to understand the information and experiences told to you by other Mum’s. Independent birth education programs such as HypnoBirthing are wonderful tools which help you completely understand birth.
• And a big one (in my opinion)… Listen to what your instincts are telling you. Instincts are strong! It’s important that they are not confused with anxiety… That’s why I stress the importance of working through any fear you have BEFORE making your decision. Because if you have a clear mind about what you want, and fear and anxiety isn’t in control… Your instincts are SO, SO strong. If every fibre of your being is telling you not to choose a certain care provider or birthing environment, there is usually a reason. Or if you keep coming back to the same care provider or birthing environment because it feels right… Think about that.
Think carefully about where and with whom you choose to birth. It’s such a personal decision, which is different for everyone.
You have choices.
Take your time, and make the choice that’s right for you.
This post has been featured in the following categories. Click on a category to view similar posts...